Our mission is to reduce the number of homeless cats & dogs by paying for needed medical treatment and assisting with the permanent placement of these animals through our partnerships with local rescue groups.
9/30/22 – For those of you who are new to 4 Paws 1 Heart, please check out Chance’s story on our website or search ‘Chance’ on our facebook page. In short, this handsome boy was in a Genesee County shelter and for some reason after he was neutered, his back legs became paralyzed. An amazing volunteer contacted Denise Najera who we had helped a little in the past to see if she could take in chance because he would have been euthanized. Denise contacted me and the rest is history. After a long period of therapy and visits to Dr. Kern of Pawsitive Steps Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine, Chance was able to walk again. Chance did a couple of interviews with the media and he became the 4 Paws 1 Heart Feline Mascot. We committed to always be there for him and we will keep that commitment. Pray for our boy and follow him and his great team of ‘fun misfits’ on the Second Chance for Chance facebook page. Your donations make a huge difference not only in the lives of our 4-legged friends but to the many humans who fall in love with them. – diana
“The innocent look on their face is enough to take up most of the room in your heart” – Mark Twain
CHANCE: Goood morning Team, Happy Thursday! Can you believe moms got me helping her with the laundry??? A SuperHero wears many hats!
Sooo, mom heard from Dr. Z this morning who heard from the specialist she’s consulting with about me. She sent him my latest x-rays and he says he believes he seeing evidence of disk disease in my spine that might be impinging on my spinal cord and causing my bladder dysfunction and wonky back legs. I am still walking Team, just not as good as I was a month ago and I am using my tail a lot more to help with my balance. Dr. Z is sending the images to Dr. Kern at Pawsitive Steps for her opinion and so she has them for my appt on the 4th. Not sure what all this will mean, but one step at a time and right now mom needs me to step it up and help her with the laundry! Slave driver!!! No…really, I’m happy to be helping mom. You know she cant get through a day without my help. Have a great day Team and please donate if you are able!
9/29/22 – Bando is one of the prior commitments I referred to earlier when I sounded the alarm about running out of funds. On September 6, we posted the following:
9/6/22 – Prayers for Bando. He was found just a couple of days ago by a very caring couple. He is only about 3 weeks old and he appeared to be very sick. The couple took him to the first hospital they could get into and the vet advised that both of his eyes needed to be removed. He was given antibiotics and the couple contacted us. We have authorized Bando to see one of our favorite doctors at Orion Animal Hospital and we will take care of whatever is needed. These amazing good Samaritans have decided to keep him because they know a shelter would have euthanized him because of his condition. Please keep Bando in your thoughts and prayers and I will report on him when we get more information. – diana.
Well, after Bando was seen by Dr. Zalac of Orion Animal Hospital did determine that Bando does need to have both eyes removed and the surgery is scheduled for late October. The reason for the delay is that he was only 3 weeks old when found so we’ve all had to wait for him to ‘fatten up’ and get a little older.
It’s so hard to have had so many stray/abandoned animals needing our assistance; and, as I’ve said, the severity of the need has been overwhelming for all rescues and vet clinics. We wish Bando wouldn’t have to have this surgery but we know he is safe and very much loved by his new family and knowing cats, Bando probably won’t even know that he is a ‘special needs’ baby.
P. S. Thank you to our many supporters who continue to donate.
9/29/22 – Montana was kept outdoors 24/7 on a leash along with another dog. During the course of her outreach work, a rescue friend of 4p1h built up a good relationship with Montana. One day the owner told her that he was moving and could not take both dogs with him and asked her if she could take Montana. Because she had a relationship with Montana and loved him, the owner asked Melissa to take Montana, which she did. Montana had been neutered but when she took him to be checked, he was found positive for heart worm. That was this past June and that is when we were contacted. We agreed to cover Montana’s heart worm treatment which began with the 30 days of treatment before the injections would start. Montana got through that along with his first injection and was doing well. Then a couple of nights ago, Melissa noticed he had coughed up a toy. This shocked her because she never saw signs of Montana eating anything other than food. Heartbreakingly, the following morning, Montana was found dead. In that we had planned on covering the total heart worm treatment, we offered to cover a private cremation. Thankfully, our friends at Advanced Animal Emergency Hospital was able to take in Montana right away so that Melissa could give Montana a final resting place. – diana.
P.S. An animal can quickly find a place in your heart and when you lose him, a little piece of your heart is gone.
Mommy loves you Montana and I miss you terribly. Today seems to be harder than yesterday for me. Your doggie sisters miss you too. You were one special doggie. My time with you was too short. I hope you are having fun in doggie Heaven. My life will never be the same without you. It’s just not fair. Run free now my gentle giant. Thank you Diana for everything. – Melissa
9/28/22 – So much is going on right now, historic inflation, increased costs to do business, the impacts of the pandemic, and now a historic hurricane hitting our many friends in the great State of Florida. As Chance said, we are all praying for the safety of people, pets, and the many stray animals whom we know exist. – diana.
Good morning God, its me…your boy Chancie. I was watching that news guy this morning on Carla’s tv and they’re saying that Hurricane Ian is going to be catastrophic! I’m sooo worried about all of our Team Chance friends who live in Florida! And all of the humans, their pets, strays and wildlife in the path of the storm! Please wrap them all in the warmth of your love and keep them from harm. I know you’re awfully busy and I wont take up all your time, thankyou for loving us…I love you! Love – Chance
9/28/22 – I didn’t post this photo earlier because I was afraid it would be taken down but this is what this poor baby has been going through. She was found on a friend’s property, as just a kitten, with this condition. Our co-founder, Gina DeLuca Jenio, and Muffins’ foster and medical caretaker has been tirelessly trying to figure out how we can help her. You’ve seen the posts. Please keep her in your prayers. Also, remember that Muffins’ finder, Bambi, is still collecting returnables and donating the $ to 4p1h. So, if you live in the Macomb County area, please message her on fb and she will get back to you. – diana.
9/26/22 – Update on our appointment at Oakland Veterinary Referral Services. Today we saw the internal medicine specialist, Dr Kustaz. She was very nice and spent time listening to the history on Muffins as we talked about a plan.
The next step is to put her under anesthesia and examine for a polyp. If there is one remove it, but depending on where it stems from and how invasive it is the surgeon may have to do a separate procedure which involves going through her ear. If the internest can remove it easily that would be done the day of. If no polyp is seen a CT scan will be done to look for evidence of a foreign body or a cutereba larva. If something is suspicious on CT then a separate surgical appointment will need to be made when she is bigger and can be guided with a scope. Right now she is to small for a scope. If there is no polyp and CT is normal then nasal biopsy of the tissue to see if she has immune meditated rhinitis, fungal, or a bacteria infiltrating her nasal passages. She is tentatively scheduled for the procedure on Tuesday Oct 4th if private funds can be raised. The estimate is $2800. The consultation today was just under $200. If you would consider donating to help this sweet girl donations can be made or check can be mailed to our P.O. box on our website under donations. Thank you – Gina
9/26/22 – This past summer we covered the removal of more botflies than we have had in our 12 years operating as 4 Paws 1 Heart. This is what one looked like on a recent rescue and what it looked like after the removal. Hopefully, though a little graphic, this is meant to help with anyone coming across such a ‘thing’. For more information, look up ‘botfly’ or the ‘Cuterebra’ through your favorite search engine. You’ll be surprised that cats are not the only hosts of this invasive parasite. – diana.
9/26/22 – These babies were found by our rescue friend, Bonnie C. Zara and Prince needed more than just a snap test, vaccines, and spay/neuter; Prince had sever diarrhea and Zara had an upper respiratory infection. Again, many of the stray cats we helped this past summer and who will find their way into furever- diana
9/26/22 – This past summer 4 Paws 1 Heart took on more cases of multiple cats/kittens needing help than ever before in 12 years of our existence. This is a group of kittens the rescuer saw on facebook being offered for free. One of the babies had a huge botfly and needed special attention for the removal. Thankfully, we were able to take care of everything needed and the rescuer worked to find them forever homes. – diana.
P.S. I want to thank everyone who has been donating as we are still on hold until we can get all of our invoices in for prior commitments. BUT tomorrow I will be announcing an exciting new offer from a long-time friend of 4p1h.